Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mistakes were made

My mom likes the Corrections section of the New York Times. It's interesting to see what they got wrong – sometimes it's a reasonable mistake; sometimes you can tell what happened (e.g., garbled phonemes from the informant), and sometimes they just don't check their "facts," or even, apparently, think about what they're saying. Everybody's got their favorites, apocryphal or not. I like the one (the former, I think, or at least not at the Times) that read:
[band name] compose their music according to Christian principles. They are not, as the article stated, "unrepentant headbangers."
So, repentant headbangers, then? Good name for a band, anyway.

On Sunday they had another good one. I didn't see it, but Powerline reports for us (HT: Roger Kimball):
A headline last Sunday about a Muslim man and an Orthodox Jewish woman who are partners in two Dunkin’ Donuts stores described their religions incorrectly. The two faiths worship the same God — not different ones.
Glad we got that cleared up. Incidentally, both blog citations pour scorn on the Times for presuming to dictate theology to us, but as far as I'm concerned the issue is semantic; the theological issue is orthogonal. We've gone over this before – and of course when I say an issue is "semantic" I mean not, as most people do, that it's not important, but the very opposite. (I'm weird that way.)

No comments: