Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The innocence of youth (or: careful with that hammer, Eugene)

I was out to-day on my late-afternoon constitutional, and I happened to pass a small group of children playing by the side of the road. As I passed, a lad of about eight years remarked to his fellows, in the wonder-filled tone in which you might expect a child to say something like "Aren't butterflies beautiful?", the following charming observation:
Isn't it fun to smash things?
I would make some remark here about the times we live in, except children have been saying this to each other from the beginning of time -- and besides, he's right. Ah, to be a kid again!

2 comments:

Clark Goble said...

Nice Floyd reference...

Duck said...

Thank you. Of course I have no evidence that the lad in question was actually named Eugene.